Takis are spicy corn rolled tortilla chips that are made by Barcel, a division of Grupo Bimbo located in the United States.
Barcel’s product range includes popcorn, candy, nuts, toppings/spreads as well as snacks and chips.
Let’s find out if their top-selling tortilla chips are gluten-free.
Are Takis Gluten Free?
The Answer is: NO
According to Takis, they are “NOT gluten-free” and are made in a facility that may also process wheat. Takis should, therefore, be avoided if you’re sensitive to gluten, or have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease.
Ingredients: (Takis Fuego flavor)
CORN MASA FLOUR (PROCESSED WITH LIME), VEGETABLE OIL (PALM AND/OR SOYBEAN AND/OR CANOLA OIL AND/OR RICE BRAN OIL ), SEASONING [SALT, MALTODEXTRIN, CITRIC ACID, SUGAR, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, HYDROLYZED SOY PROTEIN, ONION POWDER, YEAST EXTRACT, ARTIFICIAL COLOR (RED 40 LAKE, YELLOW 6 LAKE), NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, BAKING SODA, SOYBEAN OIL, CHILI PEPPER (CHILE), DISODIUM INOSINATE, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, TBHQ (ANTIOXIDANT)].
MADE IN A FACILITY THAT MAY ALSO USE MILK, EGG, WHEAT AND PEANUTS
Photo from: “Takis Review of Three Different Takis Flavors!!!” Video on Youtube
If you are looking for a gluten-free tortilla chip, check out the following product reviews:
Takis tortilla chips is currently available in 5 distinct flavors, none of which are gluten-free ( all of which must be avoided):
- Takis Fuego Chips – An intense flavor combination of hot chili pepper and lime.
- Takis Nitro Chips – One part habanero. One part lime. One part hint of cucumber.
- Takis Xplosion Chips – The taste of cheese and flavored chili pepper
- Takis Crunchy Fajita Chips – Spicy intensity rolled into Fajita flavor.
- Takis Guacamole Flavored Tortilla Chips – An intense rush of guacamole flavor.
For more information on Takis, head over to the Takis section of the Barcel website here: https://barcel-usa.com/takis