A&W Restaurants is the fast food chain created by the company behind A&W Root Beer. The chain is known for their burgers, draft root beer, and soda floats. A&W, also known as Allen & Wright Restaurants, is the oldest restaurant chain in America, with the company dating back to 1919, when founder Roy W. Allen started everything from a roadside stand in Lodi, California.
Today, there are over 900 A&W Restaurant locations worldwide with locations in both the United States and the Southeast Asian region.
Let’s find out what kind of gluten free options this fast food chain has!
What is gluten free at A&W Restaurants?
In this article and guide, we’ll highlight all the gluten free menu items, sides, and other gf options available at A&W Restaurants (United States version). This guide does not include information about A&W Canada, but leave a comment if you’re interested in a gluten free menu for that chain too!
Want to learn more nutrition facts about A&W’s foods? Check out their Nutrition Portal here.
WARNING: Cross contamination risk at A&W is very high. If you have Celiac Disease or a gluten allergy, this fast food chain is not very safe.
A&W Restaurants shares the following statement:
A&W is not a gluten free environment cross-contamination with gluten product may occur. This list was developed for those looking for an elective gluten free option. It is not intended for customers with gluten allergies or Celiac’s disease.
A&W Restaurants Gluten Free Menu
These are all the gluten free options we could find at A&W. Note all items listed below do not contain wheat or gluten, based on information we found from their Nutrition and Allergies/Sensitivities Guide.
Notice anything missing or incorrect? Leave a comment below. This article was last updated: February 20, 2023
Burgers and Chicken
All of the burgers and chicken options at A&W contain wheat/gluten.
All of the hot dog options at A&W contain wheat/gluten.
Fish and Shrimp
All of the fish and shrimp options at A&W contain wheat/gluten.
These are all of the side options at A&W that are free from wheat/gluten ingredients. Keep in mind that all fried items are cooked in shared fryers.
- Cheese Fries*
- Chili Cheese Fries*
- Chili Fries*
- Coleslaw, 3 oz.
- Mott’s Applesauce
* Cooked in shared fryer.
These are all of the dipping sauce options at A&W that are free from wheat/gluten ingredients.
- Ranch Sauce
- Honey Mustard
- Spicy Papa Sauce
- BBQ Sauce
Sweets and Treats
These are all of the sweets & treats options at A&W that are free from wheat/gluten ingredients.
- Float, Diet Root Beer, Regular 20 oz.
- Float, Root Beer, Regular 20 oz.
- Freeze, Diet Root Beer, Regular 20 oz.
- Freeze, Root Beer, Regular 20 oz.
- Shake, Chocolate, Regular 20 oz.
- Shake, Strawberry, Regular 20 oz.
- Shake, Vanilla, Regular 20 oz.
- Polar Swirl, M&M, 12 oz.
- Polar Swirl, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup, 12 oz.
- Sundae, Chocolate, Regular
- Sundae, Hot Caramel, Regular
- Sundae, Hot Fudge, Regular
- Sundae, Strawberry, Regular
- Smoothee, Pineapple Banana
- Smoothee, Strawberry Banana
- Smoothee, Strawberry
- Blendrrr, Reese’s Peanut Butter Fudge
- Blendrrr, Chocolate Fudge
- Slushee, Cherry
These are all of the root beer options at A&W that are free from wheat/gluten ingredients.
- A&W Root Beer
- A&W Diet Root Beer
Photo: A&W Restaurants Facebook page
Items to Avoid at A&W Restaurants
- All burgers, chicken, hot dogs, and fish/shrimp dishes contain wheat/gluten.
- Most sides contain wheat/gluten or are cooked in shared fryers.
- The sweets and treats may have shared equipment for mixing the shakes, etc. so keep that in mind
Summary of Gluten Free Menu Options at A&W
Pro tips and a quick summary of everything gluten free at A&W Restaurants
- When you order at the restaurant or on the app for delivery/pickup, tell them you have an allergy or Celiac Disease so they take precautions with your food.
- A&W does not have many gluten free options. You can get the Root Beer, Root Beer Floats, and some sides/dipping sauces.
- A&W does not have any ratings on information on the Find Me Gluten Free website/app. Based on this and other information, this seems like a restaurant chain with very few gluten free customers due to the lack of options.
- Personal experiences here are unknown. I will update this post if I get the chance to try A&W ever.
Photo: A&W Restaurants Facebook page
More Information about A&W Restaurants
Looking for additional information about A&W Restaurants, their foods, and nutritional/ingredients facts? Here are some resources we’ve found:
- Official A&W Restaurants Menu: https://awrestaurants.com/menu
- Official A&W Restaurants Nutrition Portal: https://awrestaurants.com/nutrition
- Official A&W Restaurants Nutrition & Allergens/Sensitivities Guide: https://awrestaurants.com/sites/default/files/A%26W%20Restaurants%20Nutrition%20Guide%202022.pdf