IHOP is an American restaurant chain known for pancakes and breakfast meals. They are a large chain with almost 2,000 locations worldwide, including in the United States, Canada, Mexico, India, UAE, and other countries. The ‘International House of Pancakes’ has a massive menu, so we thought we’d break it down for our gluten free readers. Did you know that Dine Brands Global, the parent company of IHOP, also owns Applebee’s?
What is gluten free at IHOP?
In this article and guide, we’ll highlight all the gluten free menu items, sides, and other gf options available at IHOP. Want to learn more nutrition and allergen facts about IHOP’s foods? Check out their Nutrition & Allergen Information page here.
In their Food Allergy Information section, IHOP shares:
As part of our commitment to you, we provide the most current allergen information available from our food suppliers on eight common allergenic foods. These foods include: egg, fish, milk, peanuts, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat. In addition, we identify menu items with gluten-containing ingredients. Because we have multiple sources of allergens and gluten-containing ingredients in our shared cooking and prep areas, including common fryer oil, we are unable to guarantee that any menu item can be completely free of allergens or gluten-containing ingredients. See our gluten-friendly options here. In addition, we use highly refined soybean oil in our fryers, which the FDA exempts from being labeled an allergen. Due to the complexity of our ingredients, other allergenic foods may be present in a menu item, but not declared on this section or menu.
IHOP Gluten Free Menu
These are all the gluten free options we could find at IHOP. Note all items listed below do not contain wheat or gluten, based on IHOP menu and gluten-friendly options. These items still have the potential for cross contamination and other traces of gluten, so please keep that in mind.
Notice anything missing or incorrect? Leave a comment below. This article was last updated: February 28, 2022
IMPORTANT NOTE: IHOP shares this message on their ‘gluten-friendly menu’ page.
IHOP defines gluten-friendly as menu items prepared without gluten-containing ingredients based on information from our approved suppliers. We do not claim that items marked as gluten-friendly are “gluten free” because we cannot confirm that they meet the FDA’s definition of “gluten free” (< 20 parts per million of gluten). Because we have multiple sources of gluten in our shared cooking and prep areas, including common fryer oil, we are unable to guarantee that any menu item can be completely free of gluten or allergens.
These are all of the breakfast options at IHOP that do not contain wheat or gluten ingredients.
- Original Gluten-Friendly Pancakes
- Gluten-Friendly Belgian Waffle
- Hickory Smoked Bacon Strips
- Pork Sausage Links
- Hash Browns
- Crispy Breakfast Potatoes
- Slice of Ham
- Seasonal Fresh Fruit
- Turkey Bacon
- Turkey Sausage Link
These are all of the egg options at IHOP that do not contain wheat or gluten ingredients.
- Fried Egg
- Hardboiled Egg
- Poached Egg
- Scrambled Egg
- Scrambled Egg White
These are all of the omelette options at IHOP that do not contain wheat or gluten ingredients.
- Egg White Omelette
- American Cheese
- Pepper Jack Cheese
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Shredded Cheese Blend
- Wisconsin Whole Milk Cheese
- Diced Bacon
- Diced Ham
- Hash Brown
- Pork Sausage Link
- Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- Sauteed Green Peppers & Onions
- Sauteed Mushrooms
- Sauteed Spinach
- Fire Roasted Poblano Salsa
- Sour Cream
These are all of the salad options at IHOP that do not contain wheat or gluten ingredients.
- Chicken and Veggie Salad with Grilled Chicken
- House Salad (without dressing)
- Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Honey Mustard
- Romaine Whipped Topping
- Whipped Butter
These are all of the entree options at IHOP that do not contain wheat or gluten ingredients.
- Sirloin Steak Tips
- T-Bone Steak (10oz or 12oz)
These are all of the side options at IHOP that do not contain wheat or gluten ingredients.
- Broccoli Florets
- Buttered Corn
- Red Skin Mashed Potatoes
- Seasoned Fries*
- French Fries*
- Slices of Spam (2 or 4 slices)
- Corn Tortilla
- Fresh Fruit
* shared fryer
These are all of the dipping sauce options at IHOP that do not contain wheat or gluten ingredients.
- Buttermilk Ranch
- Honey Mustard
- IHOP Sauce
These are all of the beverage options at IHOP that do not contain wheat or gluten ingredients.
- 2% Chocolate Milk
- 2% Milk
- Apple Juice
- Cranberry Juice
- Decaf Coffee
- International House Roast Coffee
- International House Roast Decaf Coffee
- Orange Juice
- Sweeter Tea
- Unsweetened Iced Tea
- Tomato Juice
- Kid’s Hot Chocolate
- Hot Chocolate
- Hot Tea – Decaf
- Hot Tea – English Breakfast
- Hot Tea – Golden Chamomile
- Hot Tea – Green
- Iced Tea & Lemonade
- Iced Tea
These are all of the syrup options for beverages at IHOP that do not contain wheat or gluten ingredients.
- Blueberry Syrup
- Butter Pecan Syrup
- Old Fashioned Maple Syrup
- Strawberry Syrup
Photo: IHOP Facebook page
Items to Avoid at IHOP
- Cross contamination at IHOP is pretty high. If you want to stay safe, stick with mainly the Breakfast section in our article above and inform your server about your allergy.
- Watch out for sauces and dressings. Only the ones listed above are confirmed gluten free.
- Watch out for the milkshakes. Some flavors are listed as not containing wheat/gluten, but due to high risk we did not include them on the list.
Summary of Gluten Free Menu Options at IHOP
Pro tips and a quick summary of everything gluten free at IHOP
- IHOP has a decent sized gluten free menu, but the chance for cross contamination is extremely high so please keep that in mind.
- When you order, tell them you have a gluten allergy or Celiac Disease so they take precautions with your meal. Even if it’s delivery or pick up, make sure to include this in your order message.
- IHOP has an average rating of 3.5 stars on Find Me Gluten Free with over 150 ratings. This indicates a decent experience for most people. All of the negative reviews were related to cross contamination and getting sick. I personally would agree this is a place that it is risky to eat at, and from past experiences I remember having a slight reaction.
- IHOP offers a gluten free pancake and gluten free waffle.
- See other top breakfast menus: Denny’s, Jack in the Box, Hardees
Source: IHOP Facebook page
More Information about IHOP
Looking for additional information about IHOP, their foods, and nutritional/ingredients facts? Here are some resources we’ve found: