Levain Bakery is a popular bakery chain that specializes in amazing cookies, and has locations in major cities across the United States including in Boston, NYC, Washington DC, Chicago, and beyond.
The story of how Levain Bakery was started:
Pam Weekes and Connie McDonald created Levain Bakery in 1995, out of their passions for food, friendship, and hard work. Competitive swimmers and triathletes, Pam and Connie passed their workouts by engaging in passionate conversations about baking, which inspired them to open a small bread shop in 1995, which they named Levain Bakery.
One day, they created an ultimate chocolate chip walnut cookie to give them energy while training for a triathlon. They decided to sell a batch in their bakery, and they flew off the shelves. An icon was born. The cozy shop on West 74th Street became a neighborhood favorite and a destination for epicurious travelers from around the world. (source)
The name comes from the French word for leavening, Levain. According to their story, ‘While Levain Bakery is now best known for the six-ounce cookies, Pam and Connie started their business making artisanal breads for restaurants around New York City. We love that our name continues to honor those roots.’
What is gluten free at Levain Bakery?
In this article and guide, we’ll highlight all the gluten free menu items, sides, and other gf options available at Levain Bakery. Want to learn more nutrition facts about Levain Bakery’s foods? Check out their FAQs page. Levain Bakery shares:
If you have a gluten sensitivity, stop by one of the bakery locations for our Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies made with gluten-free ingredients (not available for shipping). However, we want to reiterate that since we are not an allergen-free bakery, these are not certified gluten-free.
Levain Bakery Gluten Free Menu
These are all the gluten free options we could find at Levain Bakery. Note all items listed below do not contain wheat or gluten, based on information we found from Levain Bakery’s website.
Notice anything missing or incorrect? Leave a comment below. This article was last updated: March 11, 2023
Gluten Free Cookies
These are all of the gluten free cookie options at Levain Bakery that are free from wheat/gluten ingredients. This is how it is listed on the menu, do not get the cookie that is just labeled ‘Chocolate Chip Walnut’ as they have a regular wheat flour version. Always confirm with the staff!
- Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies (Gluten Free Ingredients)
- NEW – Vegan and GF Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies (learn more)
These are all of the beverage options at Levain Bakery that are free from wheat/gluten ingredients.
- Espresso Drinks
- Hot Tea/Iced Tea
- Bottled Water
- Sparkling Waters
Photo: Levain Bakery Facebook page
Items to Avoid at Levain Bakery
- All other cookies contain gluten/wheat flour.
- All loaf cakes contain gluten/wheat flour.
- All other breads and pastries contain gluten/wheat flour.
- We could not confirm all items as, but some other drinks may be free from wheat/gluten. We recommend asking at your Levain Bakery location, to confirm. These include: Cold Brew, Valrhona Hot Chocolate, Non-Dairy Milks
Summary of Gluten Free Menu Options at Levain Bakery
Pro tips and a quick summary of everything gluten free at Levain Bakery
- When you order at the restaurant or on any app for delivery/pickup, tell them you have an allergy or Celiac Disease so they take precautions with your food.
- Levain Bakery has just one gluten free option, and it is the gluten free chocolate chip walnut cookie. As a reminder, this is how it is listed on the menu [Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies (Gluten Free Ingredients)], do not get the cookie that is just labeled ‘Chocolate Chip Walnut’ as they have a regular wheat flour version. Always confirm with the staff!
- Levain Bakery has only one rating on Find Me Gluten Free, but it looks promising. Basically the customer stated that they had the gluten free cookie option, but cannot guarantee no cross-contamination as it is a bakery.
- Personal experiences here are unknown. I am really curious about this place and will give it a try soon so I can update this post. But I am a little scared about cross-contamination for sure. I will share more if I have any symptoms afterwards.
Photo: Levain Bakery Facebook page
More Information about Levain Bakery
Looking for additional information about Levain Bakery, their foods, and nutritional/ingredients facts? Here are some resources we’ve found:
- View all Levain Bakery locations to see individual menus: https://levainbakery.com/pages/bakeries
- Official Levain Bakery FAQs with Ingredients and other Allergen Info: https://levainbakery.com/pages/faq