Wawa is a convenience store and gas station chain that originally started as a food market for mainly dairy products in Pennsylvania.
The first Wawa opened in Folsom, PA in April of 1964. Since then, the chain has exploded into over 950 locations throughout the United States, primarily in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia.
Wawa offers a wide range of prepared foods, hot food you can order, drinks, slushes, hot coffee, and so much more. Let’s find out what kind of gluten free options this convenience store and gas station chain has!
Related: COOK OUT Gluten Free Menu Items and Options
What is gluten free at Wawa?
In this article and guide, we’ll highlight all the gluten free menu items, sides, and other gf options available at Wawa. Wawa shares this statement on their Nutrition page under the ‘Gluten Conscious’ section:
The ingredients and recipes listed above are all made without gluten but are not certified gluten free. These ingredients share storage and preparation areas with gluten containing products, therefore, cross-contamination through our supply chain and in our store environment is possible. These products are not suitable for people with Celiac Disease, gluten sensitivity or a wheat allergy.
Wawa Gluten Free Menu
These are all the gluten free options we could find at Wawa. Note all items listed below do not contain wheat or gluten, based on information we found from their gluten conscious menu and website.
Notice anything missing or incorrect? Leave a comment below. This article was last updated: March 2, 2023
Breads, Grains & Greens
These are all of the bread, grain, and green options at Wawa that are free from wheat/gluten ingredients.
- Brown Sugar Cinnamon Oatmeal
- Cheesy Grits
- Seasoned White Rice
- Spring Mix
These are all of the protein options at Wawa that are free from wheat/gluten ingredients.
- Applewood Smoked Bacon
- Beef Steak
- Chicken Steak
- Egg Omelet
- Egg White Omelet
- Hard Boiled Egg
- Italian Meat
- Oven Roasted Turkey
These are all of the topping options at Wawa that are free from wheat/gluten ingredients.
- Caramelized Onions
- Cold Black Beans
- Carrot Ribbons
- Grape Tomatoes
- Hot Peppers
- Jalapeno Peppers
- Roasted Peppers
- Roasted Veggies
- Shredded Lettuce
- Sliced Red Onions
- Sliced Tomato
- Slivered Onions
- Spring Mix
- Sweet Peppers
- Sunflower Seeds
These are all of the cheese options at Wawa that are free from wheat/gluten ingredients.
- Crumbled Feta
- Grated Parmesan
- Shredded Asiago
- Shredded White Cheddar
- Sliced American
- Sliced Cheddar
- Sliced Pepperjack
- Sliced Provolone
- Sliced Swiss
Spreads & Dressings
These are all of the spread and dressing options at Wawa that are free from wheat/gluten ingredients.
- BBQ Sauce
- Balsamic Dressing
- Buffalo Sauce
- Chipotle Sauce
- Cherry Pepper Relish
- Cranberry Sauce
- Cream Cheese (light, regular and veggie)
- Garlic Aioli
- Mustard (brown and yellow)
- Old Bay Seasoning
- Oil and Vinegar
- Poblano Ranch Dressing
- Remoulade Sauce
- Sour Cream
These are all of the beverage options at Wawa that are free from wheat/gluten ingredients. View all beverages here.
- Fruit Smoothies
- Cream Smoothies
- Chai Thea
Meal Ideas from Wawa
Wawa has put together a section of Meal Ideas for people who want to avoid gluten.
- Chicken Steak and Egg White Omelet Bowl with cheddar cheese, spinach, salsa, avocado and hot sauce packet (optional) (250 cals)
- Scrambled Egg Breakfast Bowl with turkey sausage, spinach and tomato (610 cals)
- Cinnamon Brown Sugar Oatmeal with CranRaisin Blend Topping (320-530 cals)
- Quinoa and Roasted Chicken Bowl with hummus, cucumbers, feta cheese, red onion, hot peppers, spinach and red wine vinegar (620 cals)
- Rice and Bean Bowl with chicken steak, lettuce, red onion, salsa, and chipotle sauce (540 cals)
- Lettuce and Oven Roasted Turkey Bowl with hard-boiled egg, white cheddar, roasted peppers and garlic aioli sauce (430 cals)
- Chef Salad customized to remove croutons and include romaine, ham, oven roasted turkey, white cheddar, cucumber, grape tomatoes, hard boiled egg, and ranch dressing (520 cals)
- Southwest Chicken Salad customized to remove crispy jalapeno and include romaine, roasted chicken, white cheddar, cold black beans, salsa, and fire roasted poblano dressing (570 cals)
- Italian Antipasto Salad to include spring mix, Italian meats, shredded asiago, grape tomatoes, hot peppers, and balsamic vinaigrette (410 cals)
Sides & Snacks
- Side Cup of Mashed Potatoes, Rice or Black Beans (160-630 cals)
- Express Fruit Cups (varies, see label)
- Express Farmhouse Garden Veggie Salad (110 cals)
- Express Apple Snack Pack (60 cals)
- Express Apple Peanut Butter Dipper (310 cals)
- Express Apple Peanut Butter Snack Cup (320 cals)
Keep in mind that Wawa’s convenience store is full of chips, fruit cups, granola bars, candy, snacks, drinks, and other options for people who are gluten free too! Find out more of what Wawa has to offer from their website.
Photo: Wawa Facebook page
Items to Avoid at Wawa
- Toppings that are spread like mayo, mustard, etc. may be highly risky for cross-contamination.
- Wawa does not have any gluten free bread or wraps.
- Ask for sauce packets to protect yourself from cross-contamination.
Summary of Gluten Free Menu Options at Wawa
Pro tips and a quick summary of everything gluten free at Wawa
- When you order at the restaurant or on the app for delivery/pickup, tell them you have an allergy or Celiac Disease so they take precautions with your food.
- Wawa has a large variety of both ready to eat and prepared food options for people who are looking to avoid gluten/wheat. While they do have a high risk for cross-contamination, there are still some options for everyone.
- Wawa doesn’t appear to have an official chain page on Find Me Gluten Free, but has a few reviews on this location. Customers reported that they were ‘happy to discover that a convenience store had a few healthy GF food options’.
- Personal experiences here are somewhat unknown. Before my gluten allergy, I used to love getting steak and cheese subs from Wawa for Hoagie Fest every year. Now that I can’t have that, I have tried the rice bowls once, but it didn’t scratch that itch so I have not gone back to Wawa for any food in a while. I will update this guide next time I try Wawa with photos/videos of my experience!
Photo: Wawa Facebook page
More Information about Wawa
Looking for additional information about Wawa, their foods, and nutritional/ingredients facts? Here are some resources we’ve found:
- Official Wawa Fresh Foods Menu: https://www.wawa.com/fresh-food
- Official Wawa Nutritional Overview: https://www.wawa.com/fresh-food/nutrition-quality-food/nutrition