McDonald’s is the most popular fast food restaurant chain in the world with almost 40,000 locations worldwide, serving billions! What started in 1940 in California is now one of the most popular brands with the most recognizable Golden Arches.
What is gluten free at McDonald’s?
In this article and guide, we’ll highlight all the gluten free menu items, sides, and other gf options available at McDonald’s. Want to learn more nutrition and allergen facts about McDonald’s foods? Check out their Allergens & Sensitivities Guide here.
McDonald’s doesn’t have a lot of gluten free options and has a high risk for cross-contamination. Please keep that in mind if you have Celiac Disease or a gluten allergy. Also, keep in mind this post is based off of information for the United States locations. McDonald’s offers different items and ingredients worldwide, so you should check your local McDonald’s website to confirm what they serve near you.
McDonald’s Allergy Pages for Various Countries:
- McDonald’s Canada Nutrition: https://www.mcdonalds.com/ca/downloads/AllergenFacts_CA_EN.pdf
- McDonald’s UK Allergen Guide: https://www.mcdonalds.com/content/dam/uk/nfl/pdf/nutrition/allergen-booklet-UK-28042021.pdf
- McDonald’s Belgium Allergens Page: https://mcdonalds.be/en/additional-information-about-allergens
- McDonald’s Cyprus FAQ: https://www.mcdonalds.com.cy/yrtk
- McDonald’s Australia Nutritional Information: https://mcdonalds.com.au/maccas-food/nutrition
- McDonald’s New Zealand Food Allergens: https://mcdonalds.co.nz/sites/mcdonalds.co.nz/files/Main%20Food%20Menu%20-%20Allergen%2C%20Ingredients%20and%20Nutrition%20Information.pdf
- McDonald’s Japan Allergens & Nutrition List: https://www.mcdonalds.co.jp/en/quality/allergy_Nutrition/allergy/
- McDonald’s Korea FAQ: http://www.mcdonalds.co.kr/eng/story/competition/faq.do
- McDonald’s Singapore Allergens Listing: https://www.mcdonalds.com.sg/allergens-listing/
- McDonald’s Egypt Nutrition & Allergens: https://www.mcdonalds.eg/nutritionandallergens
McDonald’s Gluten Free Menu
These are all the gluten free options we could find at McDonald’s. Note all items listed below do not contain wheat or gluten, based on the McDonald’s Menu. These items still have the potential for cross contamination and other traces of gluten, so please keep that in mind.
Notice anything missing or incorrect? Leave a comment below. This article was last updated: February 16, 2022
All breakfast items at McDonald’s contain wheat/gluten, including the hash browns. There is no wheat/gluten listed as an allergen for the ‘Fruit and Oatmeal’, but it contains oats so it is not possible to confirm this is gluten free either.
These are all of the side options at McDonald’s that do not contain wheat or gluten ingredients.
- Apple Slices
Chicken & Beef
These are all of the chicken, beef, and other meat options at McDonald’s that do not contain wheat or gluten ingredients. Always ask for no bun/wrap and tell them you have an allergy.
- Grilled Chicken
- 100% Beef Patty
- Quarter Pounder
- Sausage Patty
- NEW: McPlant (Beyond Meat Mcplant Patty) available at select locations
It appears that McDonald’s recently stopped selling salads in the US as of April 2020, and there is no information about them on the menu any more.
These are all of the dipping sauce options at McDonald’s that do not contain wheat or gluten ingredients.
- Big Mac Sauce
- Spicy Buffalo Sauce
- Creamy Ranch Sauce
- Honey Mustard Sauce
- Tartar Sauce
** High chance for cross contamination unless you get mayo packets.
These are all of the dessert options at McDonald’s that do not contain wheat or gluten ingredients:
- Hot Fudge Sundae
- Hot Caramel Sundae
- McFlurry with M&M’s Candies**
** High chance for cross contamination with Oreo and other wheat ingredients.
These are all of the beverages at McDonald’s that do not contain wheat or gluten ingredients:
- Milk / Chocolate Milk
- Apple Juice
- Sweet/Unsweet Tea
- Coca Cola
- Dr. Pepper
- Diet Coke
- Minute Maid Premium Orange Juice
- Minute Maid Pink Lemonade Slushie
- Minute Maid Strawberry Watermelon Slushie
- Fanta Orange
- Hi-C Orange Lavaburst
- Vanilla Shake
- Strawberry Shake
- Chocolate Shake
These are all of the McCafe beverages at McDonald’s that do not contain wheat or gluten ingredients:
- Caramel Macchiato
- Iced Caramel Macchiato
- Caramel Cappuccino
- French Vanilla Cappuccino
- Iced Mocha
- Iced Latte
- Caramel Latte
- Iced Caramel Latte
- French Vanilla Latte
- Iced French Vanilla Latte
- Premium Roast Coffee
- Iced Coffee
- Iced Caramel Coffee
- Iced French Vanilla Coffee
- Caramel Frappe
- Mocha Frappe
- Hot Chocolate
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Mango Pineapple Smoothie
Photo: McDonald’s Facebook
Summary of Gluten Free Menu Options at McDonald’s
Pro tips and a quick summary of everything gluten free at McDonald’s
- McDonald’s has very limited options for people with gluten allergies and Celiac Disease.
- When you order, tell them you have an allergy or Celiac Disease so they take precautions with your meal.
- McDonald’s has different items internationally, this menu is just based off the US!
- McDonald’s has an average rating of 2.5 stars on Find Me Gluten Free indicating a poor experience for most people with gluten allergies who visit.
- Users shared reviews that the grilled chicken and beef patties can be safe.
- All frappes, lattes, hot chocolate, shakes, and drinks are safe to enjoy!
- See other top menus: Burger King, Wendy’s, Chipotle
Source: McDonald’s Facebook
More Information about McDonald’s
Looking for additional information about McDonald’s, their foods, and nutritional/ingredients facts? Here are some resources we’ve found:
- Official McDonald’s website: https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us.html
- Official McDonald’s About Our Food Page: https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/about-our-food.html